Tears of Blood - a poem by Sanhita Baruah



[The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.]

Never had known pain,
As I do now…
Never knew what grief is,
But I do now…

When the morning sun knocks on my window,
I weep silently recalling that loathsome night,
When the rays fall on my wet pillow,
I wail in self-pity ending another sleepless night.

Every morning I look into the mirror
To see the detested face,
Robbed, touched, raped,
I now loathe my every single trace.

I had begged for help,
Had cried for mercy,
But no one took a single step,
That night to rescue me


They jeered at my pain,
Laughed at my plight,
“Men” they called themselves
Those beasts of that night

The fear that arouse in me,
I fear it may bring my death
Growing day by day,
It questions my each breath

The bruises on my face will heal,
But the trauma evoked
The scars on my heart
Might take forever to be cured

I refuse to touch myself now,
I fear to go out,
I deny myself food and clothes
I wail my heart out

To forget whatever happened,
I try each day
But the memories enliven
And I fail every single day

I wonder if I get to live
A normal life like the others
Without questions or doubts
Nor sympathy from others

Withal, I fight back my tears,
And hold my head high
As the one who should be ashamed
Are those beasts of that night.

0 comments: